Skin pH Portable Meter – HI99181
The Hanna Instruments HI99181 is a durable, waterproof, and portable pH and temperature meter designed specifically for analysis of skin. Automatic calibration is performed at one or two points with two sets of buffers. All calibration and measurement readings are automatically compensated for temperature variations.
The HI99181 uses the HI14143/50 glass body, amplified pH electrode that offers numerous features that improve pH testing for skin and surface measurements. The split-level LCD displays both pH and temperature readings, along with indicators for reading stability, battery percentage, and calibration instructions.
- Automatic Temperature Compensation
- Automatic Two-Point Calibration
Many factors affect the pH of skin, including age, genetics, sweat, and moisture. Skin has a naturally acidic pH, ranging from pH 4 to 6. However, continued effects of alkaline cosmetic products, soaps, and detergents can easily raise the skin’s natural pH. A higher-than-normal pH can lead to adverse skin conditions, so monitoring the biological compatibility between skin and cosmetics and pharmaceuticals is essential.
TThe HI99181 uses the HI14143/50 amplified pH electrode with glass body. This specialized electrode offers numerous features that improve surface pH testing. An integrated temperature sensor allows for temperature compensated pH measurements without the need for a separate temperature probe. The probe’s flat sensing tip provides optimal surface contact for skin measurement.
An integral part of any pH electrode is the reference junction. The reference junction is a part of the electrode that allows for the flow of ions located in the reference cell into the sample being tested. It is vital that this flow occurs in order to complete an electrical circuit, which ultimately determines the pH value. Poor contact between the junction and sample will prevent completion of the circuit, resulting in readings that are erratic or constantly drifting. The flat tip of the HI14143/50 provides optimal surface contact between the sample and the junction. The HI14143/50 features an open junction design which utilizes a viscolene reference electrolyte that comes into direct contact with skin’s surface, providing accurate, stable readings.
- The HI99181 is a waterproof meter rated IP67 for immersion in up to one meter of water for 30 minutes.
- One or two-point calibration is automatic to two selectable buffer sets.
Automatic Temperature Compensation
- An integrated temperature sensor allows for automatic temperature compensation of pH measurements.
- Using the pH-mV range the user can check the sensor status by reading the mV reading in fresh buffers. At room temperature (25 oC/77oF) the reading should be +/- 30 mV in pH 7.01 and greater than 150 mV difference between pH 7.01 and 4.01.
Multi-Level LCD Display
- The split-level LCD displays both pH and temperature readings, along with indicators for reading stability, battery percentage, and probe condition.
Probe Condition Indicator
- The probe condition indicator is based on the offset and slope characteristic of the electrode. There are 5 bars ranging from all 5 indicating the probe is in excellent condition and 1 bar indicating the probe should be cleaned or replaced.
Battery Error Prevention System
- The meter will automatically shut off if there isn’t enough power to obtain an accurate measurement.
Battery Life Indicator
- The battery percent level is displayed at start up alerting the user to the remaining battery power that is available.
Product Name: Skin pH Portable Meter- HI99181
Quote Required: Yes
pH Range: -2.00 to 16.00 pH; -2.0 to 16.0 pH
pH Resolution: 0.01 pH; 0.1 pH
pH Accuracy: ±0.02 pH; ±0.1 pH
pH Calibration: automatic, at one or two points with two sets of buffers (standard 4.01, 7.01,10.01 or NIST 4.01, 6.86, 9.18)
pH Temperature Compensation: automatic from -5.0 to 105.0°C (23 to 221°F)
pH CAL Check (electrode diagnostics): probe condition indicator
pH Sensor Check: yes
mV Range: ±825 mV (pH-mV)
mV Resolution: 1 mV (pH-mV)
mV Accuracy: ±1 mV (pH-mV)
Temperature Range: -5.0 to 105.0°C / 23.0 to 221.0°F
Temperature Resolution: 0.1°C/ 0.1°F
Temperature Accuracy: ±0.5°C (up to 60°C); ±1.0°C (outside)/ ±1°F (up to 140°F); ±2.0°F (outside)
pH Electrode: 11114143/50 pre-amplified pH probe with internal temperature sensor, quick connect DIN connector and 1 m (3.3′) cable (included)
Automatic Shut-Off: user selectable
Battery Type/Life: 1.5V (3) AAA / approximately 1400 hours of continuous use
IP Protection: IP67
Environment: 0 to 50°C (32 to 122°F); RH max 100%
Dimensions: 154 x 63 x 30 mm (6.1 x 2.5 x 1.2″)
Weight: 196 g (6.91 oz.)
Ordering information: 11199181 is supplied with HI14143/50 flat tipped pH/temperature probe, HI70004 pH 4.01 buffer solution sachet (1) , HI70007 pH 7.01 buffer solution sachet (1), HI700620 electrode cleaning and disinfection solution for skin residual sachets (1), FII700621 electrode cleaning solution for skin grease and sebum sachets (1), 100 mL beaker (1), batteries, calibration certificates for both meter and probe, instruction manual, and rugged thermoformed carrying case.